Tuesday, July 2, 2013

I Got Owned Today

So today's WOD was evil... like the fruits of the devil... Usually when they are evil, they are good for you.  Who wants that?

We did 5 sets of 2 thrusters.  I got up to 135 lbs.  While doing the workout, my wrists really started hurting. I have a little carpal tunnel, so bending my wrists all the way back to rack the weight on my "meat shelf" caused some pain.  I was able to do the strength part of the WOD and felt okay.

This is a thruster.

The the conditioning part of the workout was thrusters and ring rows  in sets of 30-25-20-15-10-5.  A total of 105 each.  Number one, I should not have counted them.  Number two, I got in my head and started doubting myself.  I knew that I just needed to chip away at it and enjoy the workout.

We started the thrusters.  My wrists were screaming.  I got through the first 30 with some tweaks from Coach Joe.  The ring rows went okay; I had to scale them.  Joe had me take some weight off the bar, but my wrists really started hurting... bad.  So I ended up doing wall balls with the 20 lb ball for the rest of my thruster sets.  I have the strength to do them at the prescribed weight, but my wrists just did not like me. So I was disappointed with myself.  I am glad I got it done, but should not have been so hard on myself. 

The great thing about CrossFit is when the coaches see someone struggling, they give options on how to still get a good workout.  You can scale anything.  Anyone can do CrossFit.  I was talking about CrossFit on Facebook (I know.. imagine that) and I said, "It's not for everyone."  Then a friend of mine Sean, whom I have known since I was 12, saw what I wrote and said this, "Wrong on one thing, Chris Crosby. CF IS in fact for everyone. That's the great thing about it. It's entirely scalable, no judgment, and all you have to do is your best. Fitness is for everyone, too. You may not like it, enjoy it, or WANT to do it, but at the end of the day, it's our responsibility to take care of ourselves for those that count on us to be there for them."

He is right.  Fitness is for everyone.  CrossFit is designed for everyone. If someone just doesn't like it, then okay. You still need to get busy and start doing something! Sean has been doing CrossFit for 6 months, and it obviously has made a big impact in his life and also in his family's life.  I have seen pictures on Facebook where the whole family is involved at the gym and running.  That is great!  What an example to me and my family.  This is what Jenn and I are trying to do as well. 

It will make a huge impact on our kids' lives.  Way more than a coach or a teacher.  The example has started with us, the parents.  Not only with fitness but with eating healthy also.  Fitness is for everyone.  I know I have to do this for me.  I am doing it for me.  I am also doing it for my kids.  They see me run or workout, and guess what they want to do?  After every workout, the kids run out to say hi to us, and then they want to show me how they can do push-ups or lift the weights.  HOW COOL IS THAT!


So no matter how horrible that thruster is, I do it.  No matter how bad I want to eat something unhealthy, I stop. Why? Because I HAVE to.  

Thanks for being an example, Sean! You better keep pushing hard, because I am catching up! 

This is a cool graphic I saw the other day.  What is CrossFit?

Click for larger image



8 comments:

Debbie @ Live from La Quinta said...

You know what? You got through the workout. YOU kicked thrusters butt. So they weren't perfect, you had to make some accommodations, the point is, you did it.

GiGi Eats Celebrities said...

Is there such a thing as LIGHT Cross Fit? LOL! I did cross fit once and it killed me, ha ha ha! I need to start SMALL and work my way up in X FIT but my first go kind of scared me away from it, lol!

Christine said...

Totally agree with Debbie that you kicked butt. One of the things that continues to motivate me to be healthy and to workout is my kids. They notice and take in everything and I agree that it's so important to set a good example as a parent.

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama said...

Kids notice EVERYTHING! That's extra motivation to try your best and set a good example. Great job on getting it done!

Toni @ Running, Loving, Living said...

Great job!!! The best motivation is our kids!! We can provide the base for their healthy lifestyle by leading by example!!

AmyC said...

CrossFitters impress me so much! Great job pushing through your workout!

MIZ said...

LOVE THIS as you are a bada**role model for your children.

xo

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean said...

thrusters are SO hard! great job!