Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Run For The Ranch

Hey everyone, it has been a crazy month.  A new job, sickness, and a half marathon.

I started a new job this month working at as a sales associate.  This is my first sales job to earn any commission.  I have worked the phones and sales, but it was a base pay.  I really like where I work and all the benefits we get.  We even get $400 a year to use on anything health related.  I am using mine for races next year.  I am just getting used to the new job and want to be good at it already.  I know there is a learning curve, but I want to be good at it now, so I can make the money my family needs to survive.  I took a big risk taking this job.  Soooo, it has been stressful.  I used to make my blog posts after my run in the morning, but I have been going into work at 7 am and have not had time to blog, so I am working on making time at night.  I have still been waking up early and running, so no worries there. I have been missing my cross training because of my 7 am work.  That sucks, but I will get back into it next year when my shift changes.

My son decided to bring home some sickness from school.  I was sick for about 2 weeks, and I am still feeling it.  He, of course, was really only sick a day and is 100% again.  I missed about 5 runs and had to leave early on one of my long runs.  Jenn is sick now, so we have been a house of sickness.  Really hoping to be better before Christmas.

Last Sunday, I ran my second half marathon.  It was the Run For the Ranch here in Springfield, Missouri.  It had a large amount of 50 State Runners and Marathon Maniacs.  Camille Herron was even going to run it, but backed out the last minute because of the course.  She didn't want to get hurt so close to the Olympics. Very nice person! It was a 8 lap marathon, 4 for the half.  Wasn't the safest route and had us running on some busy roads and hazardous sidewalks, but the people at the aid stations were great.  One of my running clubs, OMRR, really took care of the people who ran.

It was not my best run ever.  I had ran only once that week and was still a little sick from bronchitis, but I still wanted to run.  I went out way too fast and really bonked the last three miles.  My friend Mike was a God-send and was there with me for most of the race, keeping me motivated.  I should've slowed down, but I didn't.  The last lap was one of the hardest things I have ever done.  Running laps is hard, but doing them while kind of sick and just out of energy was horrible. I did it, though, and was very proud of myself.  I didn't get a PR but treated this run like one of my training runs for my full. 
Still smiles at this point, Mike wanted to kill me though
Jenn on the other hand had an amazing race. She won first in her age group and was the 8th female overall for the half.  She is a rock star.  Ran it in 1:40:41. It was a PR, and she even said she felt really good at the end and possible could've done a few more laps if she wanted to.  She is a natural runner, and I wonder what kind of runner she will be as she keeps getting better.  I am going to make a video about the race later.

She is super cute.   I will keep her.

Life is good.  Remember to start planning your goals right now for the new year.  Start now, and let's make 2012 a healthy, great year!


Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

Great job to both of you and way to go with a PR Jen!

Run with Jess said...

Congrats to both of you on your race! And Woo-Hoo on the new job!! I book hotels thru all the time!

it's all about pace said...

good job to you both!