Tuesday, October 4, 2011

So You Ran Your Race... Now What?

When I first started "running" this year, I had a goal in mind.  I found a 5k and started working for it.  It was a lot of work and fun.  When I finished, I signed up for two more.  I ended up doing 4 all really close to each other.  I then found myself with out a race and a plan.  I then started missing a day here and there.  I wasn't as dedicated to my running all of a sudden.  I started to fall into the trap of not having a goal to work towards.  I then realized I needed another race and goal.

As Amy and I were running this morning, we talked about what's next after the Bass Pro half we are training for.  It is going to get colder, and people are going to stop coming.  I have already decided I am running another half in Phoenix in January and a full in March at Little Rock.  I know having something to work towards will help get me out of bed and run in the morning.  There have been many times I wanted to stay in bed, but I knew I needed to get my run in.  Now I need to start thinking about what I am going to do after Little Rock.  I am also asking for all running gear for Christmas this year.

So moral of the story is...  Pick out a race and work towards it. When it is done, THEN...  pick out another and another and another.  Keep a goal and keep working towards it!  I will see you out there running!  Who knows..  A 50 miler sounds kind of fun....

2 comments:

it's all about pace said...

dude... you totally get it!

Cathie said...

I totally agree! Had my second 5K line up before I had run my first and have done 7 5Ks and one 10K since February. My first half is on October 23. A racing company here in the Dallas area has a cool challenge each year. They put on a half marathon every season. Run in all four in order, and get a really cool medal. That is my goal for 2012 as well as running in the Dallas Rock and Roll half in March.

Yes, I am addicted to running now!!