Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Swimming

So these last two weeks have been about getting my knee healthy.  Today, I decided to swim.  You can ask my family, from age 12-15, I lived at the neighborhood pool.  I was there most of the day every day.  I loved to swim, but I never did any kind of swimming for sport.  I didn't know what it was like to swim nonstop for a long period of time.

Swimming is hard! I swam about 20 laps and feel exhausted. One lap is 50 yards. I was going slow and had to stop a lot. There were people cranking out laps like it was nothing.  One guy had Ironman goggles.  When I was leaving, I saw him out on the bike all decked out in Ironman gear.  You can guess what he was training for!

Boot camp on Thursday.  Cross train on Friday.  5K on Saturday.  I also found a video of what I am going to do the day I hit my goal weight.  ENJOY!

4 comments:

wam said...

How funny, I'm actually training to do my first (but certainly not last) triathlon. Back in mid January, I joined a master's swim class. I come from a history of never really doing anything more than recreational "swimming" (a more accurate verb there would be "soaking" or perhaps "splashing around"). The Masters class has made SOOOO much difference. When I started, I struggled (a lot) to finish a 25 yd lap. Now, I'm regularly doing 10 times that distance non-stop. The classes are really inconvenient (requiring me to wake up at 5:30am, a serious issue for my normal night-owl tendencies); but man have they been worth it. I still need to about double my longest distance before my first big triathlon (end of July). As with running, the more you do, the easier it seems to get. Just sticking with it seems to be the hardest part.

Abbs said...

Swimming does get easier :) I have been doing it my whole life and those Ironman guys still swim circles around me :) Keep up the great work. I think its awesome that you are adding swimming it will really help :) Especially because its not hard on your knees :)

Eden said...

Since you did the Couch to 5K program but are now swimming (which makes perfect sense with your knee), I thought I'd share this program I found for swimming...
http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html
I used it when we had a gym membership and it didn't take long to increase my laps between rests. Hope it helps you too!

wam said...

I should have mentioned this in my first reply, but an added benefit of swimming (beyond the intrinsic full body cardio/resistance workout), is that the breath control you learn out of necessity from swimming directly helps your breathing while running. I find that even when running at a faster than typical pace, my breathing is much more controlled, now that I'm also swimming. Full, deep breaths used to require conscious thought, and now are much more my normal breathing pattern (especially when running, swimming, or biking).