Monday, March 21, 2011

Just What I Needed

I was dreaming that Jenn and I were in New Orleans trying to get to a race, and the next thing we knew, we were being mugged.  Right when it was starting to get bad, my alarm went off. Have you ever had one of those dreams that felt so real that your heart is still racing when you wake up?  That happened to me today.  I rolled out of bed and talked myself into getting ready.

I got to the gym and sat and stared at my dash for at least 3 minutes, talking myself into getting out and running.  I just did not feel it today.  My brother wasn't there; I was very tired, and I just did not want to run.  I slowly crawled out of my van, selected my running playlist, and started my warm-up.

Slow and steady, I told myself, just keep a nice slow pace and run the full 30 minutes.  Push past the hills and work hard the whole way.  At the first mile, I still felt great!  I kept pushing and running and at the end of thirty minutes, 2.5 miles, I felt really good.  I was awake and alert.  I felt alive! 

I remembered this is why I run.  This is why I wake up early and work out.  I am so glad I didn't talk myself out of working out this morning.

No comments: