Monday, January 31, 2011

Bitter Sweet

So some of you might of noticed I didn't post on Saturday.  It was out of guilt.  I did workout with Jen and we did have a great time, but it was my free day.  I have to remind myself, free day doesn't mean eat like a mad man.  I am making a life change and pigging out on a free day is not life changing.  I also had a bad food day on Sunday.  So I didn't lose anymore weight this weekend and have stayed the same.  I figure I will workout Tuesday and post my official weight then.  First of the month style!

Sooo now that I have posted about my disappointing weekend, I have some great news!  I rocked day 1 of week 4.  I finished the whole thing.  I was very slow, but did not stop.  It felt great.  I ran a total of 16 minutes and walked 8, plus a 5 min warm up and 5 min cool down!  It felt great to say I did it!  The great thing about running is that you cannot cheat.  Its all up to you, you ran or you didn't.  And I did it today. 

I downloaded a Couch to 5K podcast.  It is pretty cool, it tells you when to run and walk and gives tips and encouragement while you run.  It really helped.  I hope everyone had a great weekend and now its time to work hard this week.  My goal is to break 300 lbs this week!  What are your goals this week!

3 comments:

wam said...

Congrats on your C25k progress. Don't beat yourself up too much about the lack of weight loss on a week to week basis. Remember, you're in this for the long term, so short term results are a lot less critical. One thing you might want to consider is that instead of a "free day" or a "cheat day" where you allow yourself to go overboard, you allow yourself some modest indulgences through the week, so long as you stay within your plan's guidelines. This way, you wouldn't feel like you need to maximize your free days, and your occasional indulgences become just a part of your normal lifestyle.

Also, congrats on setting your sights on the marathon. I'd caution ya about trying to run a full marathon the first year of running, but a run/walk combo several months out in the future after you've already conditioned yourself for a 5k should be totally doable. Best of luck to ya!

P.S. You might want to check to see if your gym has a bodyfat measurement device (either calipers or an electro-impedance based one) that you can use. If not, they are available fairly cheap on amazon. I've found that it is even more rewarding to be able to report on "lost 3 pounds of fat and gained 1 pound of muscle" than just "lost 2 pounds".

Perpetual Beginner said...

I have a C25K iPhone ap that I love. It lets me play music, and cuts in to tell me when to walk and when to run.

My goal for this week is to do the three week 7 runs so I can move back to week 8, and to get in three weight training sessions.

Generally I count any week that's level or down to be a victory - anything but up!

Jim said...

Chris, Awesome job on week four!! And congrats on coming to grips with “free days.” I heard someone say this is not like a dose of penicillin that you take for ten days and are cured. This is for the rest of your life. Good job on staying positive.