Saturday, May 28, 2011

Before and After and Long Run Saturdays

This morning, I was a little worried.  We had a 6 mile run scheduled.  The farthest I have ever gone before was last week, and that was 4 miles.  I also had amazing Philly Cheesesteaks for dinner last night and was worried that it would effect me.

We started the run at 7:30 this morning.  The half marathon group only had a 2 mile run today, so we split off from the big group pretty quick, and our 5 person group kept trucking along.  Then, we started on the Galloway Trail and ran through the Southern Hills neighborhood.  It's called Southern Hills for a reason.  It has some killer hills, and at about Mile 3, I was really sucking air.  I wasn't sure how much farther I could go, but at about Mile 4, I got my second wind and really felt good in the run.

During these long runs, I am learning more about myself and my body.  I am also learning that I might need to get something so I do not get the infamous bloody nipples.  It was very painful towards the end.  I know.. TMI, but it happened, and I am honest!  My calves started getting really tight towards the end as well.

I love my group.  They are a lot fun and funny.  I am the youngest in my group, and we were talking about some funny things today.  One of the ladies, Sandy, said she has a big crush on Bret Michaels from Poison.  We got a good laugh from it.  They are all really nice and have a lot of good things to say.  I will enjoy running with them every Saturday.

We ran our 6.5 miles in 1 hr 34 min.  About a 15 minute pace.  Slow but steady!  

So I have been living my healthy lifestyle for 148 days now.  It has been a great journey, and I will keep trucking away.  My weight loss has not been what I have wanted, but I know why.  See yesterday's post.  Here is a picture that Jenn took of me after my long run today.  Thought I would do a before and after of it as well.

5 comments:

Kelby and Amber-Rose said...

WOOHOOO! Lookin good! You are such an inspiration! Way to go Chris!

Mike said...

I recommend Body Glide or Nipguards. I thought once I got down to single digit percent bodyfat that this annoying problem would be gone but I still get it.

I'm pretty sure it's the moisture that does it. Either from sweat or rain. I just had this problem the other day running a 3 mile fun run in a light shower. It wasn't even a pace that would make me break a sweat given the cool air.

Anonymous said...

You look amazing Chris! I'm so proud of you!

Cathie Baker said...

You don't look like the same person...physically or emotionally! Way to go!!

wam said...

I used Band-Aid Clear-Spots to prevent nipple chafing on my half marathon and had no problems. I recently picked up a stick of BodyGlide (primarily for biking), and have not yet tried it out.